Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 08:47 PM   #10
Beau388

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiptut View Post
Do you recall the brand names of the steering stabilizer and a rear track bar? Did you install either or have a shop install them?
For the 18,000 lb F-53 chassis, I used an UTF53V8R rear track bar by Ultra RV Products. It put it on myself and took a couple hours laying on card board under the level coach. I seriously recommend you use an impact wrench on the big bolts. The little ones (12MM) torque to only 65 lbs, but the rest )5/8") 100 ftlbs. The big 3/4" fine threads bolts are held on by steel lock nuts that take about 200 ftlbs of torque to tighten and shroud be torqued to 380 ftlbs. My impact wrench only goes to 320 ftlbs so I called it quits when I reached the wrench max. The track bar made little difference in how the coach handles when not towing. I drove it 18,000 miles without the rear track bar. I did not like the way the coach felt when towing. I could feel the dolly pull on the coach at speed when I turned the wheel. The track bar greatly improved the dolly pull.
My personal opinion is my coach drives great the way it came from the factory but add 2,200 lbs and it needed some help. I added Sumo Springs front and back because the coach was bottoming out against the bump stops. The Sumo Springs did improve the ride of the big pavement breaks but made it ride a little rougher on the minor road imperfections. They helped the coach sway some but the sway wasn't too bad to start with. I checked the front wheel alignment and empty weight when I first got the coach. The rear wheel thrust and front wheel alignment were spot on. The coach weighed 15,840 lbs when me in it and nothing else except 56 gallons of fuel. I run with 80 psi in the front tires and 88 in the rear. Factory says 82 psi but my rear tires run too hot with 82 psi.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum