Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: AirTabs
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2015, 04:31 AM   #11
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
I personally see the two examples above as very different from a typical RV with its truncated rear. So much so that I don't think the same theory is applicable.

The bike helmet reduces the rider's coefficient of drag by tapering gradually so that air flow doesn't separate as early as when using a standard helmet. This is same principle as the tail cone of an airplane, which tapers very gradually. Most people think it's the front of vehicles that offers the most potential to reduce drag, but in most airplanes the back end tapers very gradually. And most modern cars with low Cd also taper gradually to reduce creating a partial vacuum behind the vehicle at speed.

By comparison a typical RV has the side walls forming a 90 degree sharp angle with the rear cap. Because of this I expect separation at the rear edge of RV with or without tabs. Likewise I expect the partial vacuum at the rear to be essentially the same. If the pressure is similar, then the total force the engine has to work against is also very similar.

I hope I'm wrong because it'd be great for improvement to be that easy.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.