Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2015, 12:51 PM   #14
JamieGeek
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov
There is however, no mention of running the hot water heater, furnace or refrigerator on LPG and all of those systems have open combustion chambers which are located somewhat inside the walls of the coach. I believe I would be more concerned about Carbon monoxide from those items than that generator.
Good point: While we really wouldn't have an issue with running the water heater overnight I really wouldn't have a reason to do so.
Running the furnace overnight is a common thing everyone does (even at home)--thus how is this fundamentally different than running the generator? Does propane burn cleaner than gas and thus not produce nearly as much CO? (at home the furnace has a separate flue for the combustion products and thus they exit the house..)

I've noticed that the refer doesn't use nearly as much propane as the furnace or water heater. Comparably like a bunsen burner vs a jet engine (at least that is the difference in sounds between the refer and water heater/furnace) and thus the refer probably doesn't produce that much CO/CO2. In addition, if the refer is kept closed all night, it is likely that the cooling cycle wouldn't run as much anyway (given the cooler temps overnight, and no radiant heat from the sun heating the unit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z
CO is strange, while in it's pure form it is naturally slightly lighter than air, that has nothing to do with how it dissipates. Depending on environmental factors; temperature, mixture with other exhaust chemicals, etc. it can either rise, sink, or stay at the same level until it dissipates.

Simply, the path that CO takes can be unpredictable.
Isn't the resulting CO created from combustion typically hotter than the surrounding air and thus would rise due to convection?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum