Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2018, 07:20 PM   #26
justjohn57

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3
State: Oregon
THOR #5953
Just a couple hints for AFTER you get your best price and go through a complete PDI and bring that beautiful new baby home. We were very first time RV buyers and users less than 2 years ago and here's what worked for us:

Plan a small "maiden voyage" close by where you live not on a schedule. Don't plan a big trip first thing, since there are bound to be bugs. Our first trip out, the full wall slide refused to come back in! Luckily we were in a 10/10/10+ park and in no hurry to get back home right away.

Exercise all your systems, even if you don't need to. That includes using the generator to run everything at load, including the AC for a couple hours, then boondocking off the coach batteries until voltage goes down to 12.1V, running the fridge off gas, using the furnace, etc, etc.

Plan on multiple trips back to the dealer the first year to get all the little things you find fixed by the dealer while it is still under warranty. I always called ahead for an appointment with all the known issues flagged with the dealer ahead of time, then stayed in the waiting room for as long as they took to be repaired. They put a bit red WAITER stamp on my work order so they knew I was out in the lobby and the work had to be expedited. That way they don't keep your unit for days or weeks at the dealership while they take their time working on it. Be prepared to show them exactly what is wrong with everything you find and keep a list of all the items you have found.

Once you feel you have the bugs worked out sufficiently for a long trip, plan on joining FMCA and attending one of their rallies for the entire time. Split up and go to every informational event you are interested in. We learned so much from a 5 day rally as newbies we can't begin to tell you how important it was later on.

Get a TPMS tire monitor and a good surge protector and monitor. I picked both items up at the rally after hearing how important they were, and won't go into the details, but I am very glad I did! Also, get a windshield chip repair kit and know how to use it just after the inevitable problem occurs.

Now the good news: After getting through the first year and getting our feet wet, we've taken numerous trips and now have over $15K on our "new" motor home, there have been ZERO problems (knock on wood) with it that have required shop work.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum