Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2018, 12:58 AM   #1
MiramarTN

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar
State: Tennessee
THOR #12286
How do you lock steering wheel when using dolly?

Up front I want to say that I have yet to tow using my RV. I am learning to use the tow dolly with my truck.

Instructions say to lock the steering wheel so the tires do not turn left or right while on the tow dolly. My initial attempt to lock the steering wheel on the car was to use a brake pedal steering wheel anti-theft lock device. This is the bar that hooks around the steering wheel and the other end hooks around the brake pedal. Pull the ends tightly together and lock the pole in place. This broke the brake pedal on my car. No, the brake pedal did not break off but with my Chev Bolt EV, I had a loud popping sound when I pressed the brakes and a few parts feel to the floormat.

My latest method that does work is putting a U-Bolt around the downward spoke of the steering wheel. The U-Bolt goes through 2 holes that I drilled into a long piece of conduit and then bolt that up tight. I put rubber caps on the ends of the conduit. The conduit runs almost the whole width between the driver and passenger door. Rags are placed strategically to avoid wear/scuff marks on the door panels and the steering wheel. This arrangement prevents the steering wheel from turning.

I feel there has to be a better, more simple method to secure the steering wheel that I just haven't thought of.

Ideas? Suggestions? All are appreciated.

MiramarTN
MiramarTN is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.