Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2018, 12:13 AM   #1
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
New 2018 Thor Outlaw 29H

So been on the site a few weeks now and posted a little as I was preparing to purchase an Outlaw 29H. Thanks to everyone who posts here and helped me with my research before pulling the trigger!!!

I have a Can-Am Spyder and my wife and I have been talking about a toy hauler. We were going to wait a few years until closer to retirement but.....

My wife wanted a camper / toy hauler and did not think the Outlaw would work for her because she wanted a bedroom. We looked at a 2015 29H with 8900 miles and when she saw the garage had the king bed and could be setup as a separate bedroom once the Spyder was out of the garage, she thought it would be ideal.

We almost pulled the trigger on the 2015 and then I came a across a new 2018 left-over in eastern PA about 5 hours away. After seeing the 2018 had a lot of upgrades over the 2015 and the Spyder would no longer fit in the 2019 29J we worked out a good deal for the 2018 and not much more than I would have paid for the 2015.... all things considered.

I was worried before picking it up because of some of the issues people reported with the Outlaw's and some of the bashing about quality. We picked it up last weekend and camped for one night on the way home. I have to admit this 29H was not as bad as I thought it would be after reading some of the horror stories.... although I did get burned with the San-T-Flush system in the shower wall and leaking all over the floor. But I could see the improvements between the 2015 and the 2018 so I am glad that I went for new vs used.

There were some other minor issues but they are either being taken care of by the dealer or myself. The dealer seems to be pretty responsive so I am happy with them so far. We are going to use it a few more times before the end of the season and make a list of warranty work for the dealer to get done before winter.

I was a little surprised that the unit only came with one set of keys! I'm thinking you spend this much $$$ and Thor can't give you two sets of keys?

I ordered two sets of key blanks for the E450 and the camper door and had them cut by a locksmith before we left for Shenandoah National Park this weekend for our first real trip in it with the Spyder.

I figured I would program the transponder key myself since the Fords are pretty easy. When I got the keys home from the locksmith I thought I was out of luck because the Ford procedure says you need two working keys and I only had one so I figured I was off to the dealer or back to the locksmith to have the new keys programmed.

I put one of the new keys into the ignition just to make sure it would turn and I was absolutely shocked when it started!!!

I then grabbed the second new key and sure enough it fired right up!!!

You mean to tell me that Ford / Thor are not using a transponder key in these coaches??? That seems crazy to me!

Since I only got the one aftermarket keyless entry fob, I also ordered some generic Ford 315Mhz remote keyless entries. I tried to program them using the Ford programming process but it won't go into programming mode after cycling the ignition switch 8 times.

Obviously the E450 Chassis that Thor gets from Ford is pretty stripped down and Thor handles much of the electronics. I am just surprised a transponder key is not used.

Anyway.... we had a great time this weekend. And we managed to see a bear crossing the road while riding Skyline Drive this morning before coming home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7559.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	12480  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum