Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2018, 06:26 PM   #7
TurnerFam

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
like us, you may have had an object hit the shifter assembly, between the engine and the transmission, engaging the engine - with no 12v power, and no lube pump or water pump operational, the engine overheated quickly and ‘exploded’, throwing engine, flywheel, and cylinder parts out, some like granade schrapnel thru the hood, and liquids from the radiator.
We remembered having a very large ‘double dump trailer’ Semi blow past us right before these ‘tugs’ happened. We later came to the assumption that the truck had thrown something from the road under and into our transmission/engine area. A later insurance inspection came to the same conclusion. We had towed our Fiesta over 60,000 successful miles over 3 Years - we knew what we were doing.

Later, when I went to find a replacement car to tow, I came across a shop who deals almost exclusively with ford fiesta and focuses, purchasing them from auctions, and repairing them to sale, They had several engine compartments torn open for me to see. What then amazed me is that the transmission shifter linkage between the engine and transmission is really open for anything to easily move it, should something hit it or make impact, while you are driving. It would then put the transmission into gear, but you’d have no way of knowing it while towing it.

Our insurance also paid me for a total loss, and it was enough to find a nice, less miles, Focus model, with a ‘rebuilt’ title, and enough to also purchase and have installed a new baseplate and wiring. We’ve towed it over 40,000 miles since : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.