Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2018, 08:47 PM   #30
Oldchief

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
I tried the Portabote thing a few years ago. Had both a 12' and 14', at different times. The 12' was just too small for my wife and me and our medium size dog. They are a neat idea but, despite what their advertising propaganda proclaims, they are not easy for 1 person to set up. And, while they are not all that heavy, they are bulky to handle. I rigged a shelf for mine, under the 24' travel trailer we had at the time. Essentially, I just set the bow of the folded up Portabote on the end of the shelf, picked up the stern and slid it in on the shelf. Never had any problems with this setup. That said, its not just the boat you have to store and transport. There's life preservers, oars and/or paddles, and, if you don't like rowing, a motor or some sort. I had a 9.9 hp NIssan 4 stroke, which was a perfect fit for my boats. If you have a motor, then there's gas to haul and store and don't forget, a fire extinguisher is required by most all states. After several trips, setting all that crap up just got to be more trouble than it was worth, especially for my beat up old body that was somewhere around 65 back then. I now do the same thing with boats that I do with toad cars, that I don't pull anymore, and rent one when the need or desire for one arises. Much cheaper and less hassle in the long run.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.