Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2018, 07:07 AM   #17
heiser252

Brand: DRV
Model: 40KSSB4
State: California
THOR #5723
To the question about running an AC from solar/batteries, it can be done and one of these days I will probably do it as a proof of concept. There are however some limiting factors. First you need an inverter capable of putting out enough power to handle the initial surge of the AC compressor kicking on. Not a lot of inverters are capable of this. If I go this route, I intend to add a micro air easy start module to my AC unit before I try to wire it to my inverter sub panel.

Lithium batteries are also better than other types of batteries for trying to run an AC. This is because they produce a consistent, linear power output all the way from full charge to almost completely discharged. AGM and Lead Acid batteries output power more on a curve, with higher output at full charge and then ever decreasing output as the charge diminishes. Additionally, Lithium batteries can be discharged more deeply and don’t have to be fully recharged regularly like AGM and Lead Acid. This is more conducive to trying to run high draw items like an AC. This doesn’t mean you can’t run an AC from an AGM or Lead Acid battery bank because you can. It is just that a Lithium bank is better suited to do it, but I am digressing from the original topic. Of course you still need to replace the power drawn by the AC back in whatever bank you use, which is where solar comes in and why this topic was started.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.