Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2018, 01:41 AM   #1
bevedfelker

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Winter Storage & Battery Shutoff Switches

We recently moved from Tampa FL to Mount Joy PA (don't ask).

When I'd store my 2015 Vegas in Tampa during the winter every 2 or 3 months I'd visit the storage lot & run my generator to top off the chassis & house batteries. There was enough parasitic load to drain down the batteries slightly (on the house batteries) that the battery charge would degrade a bit. I know the chassis battery keeps a constant load on the radio to keep the clock time current and maintains the radio preset stations.

Now that we are in PA I'm storing the RV at the Mechanicsburg Naval Depot. The MWR Auto Hobby shop has an unheated warehouse where the RV is stored (good deal for only $40 a month). The warehouse is not heated so it is going to get cold inside. I'm assuming that will cause the battery charges to degrade faster than they did in Tampa.

I'm going to have cutoff switches installed on the chassis battery as well as the house batteries. That way I can physically disconnect them completely from any load.

Is there any problem with the engine ECU after you reconnect the battery? Is there any problem starting the engine because the ECU might need a reset? I know several of you storing in cold climate have installed battery cutoffs. I'd like to hear your experience after you connect the chassis battery in terms of any problem or anything special that needs to be done before attempting to start the engine.

I don't believe I have this mod in my manual. I'll take pictures and provide a write up in the manual as a revision after I have the mods complete.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.