Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2018, 02:03 AM   #25
Dilley-Dilley

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #12091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I agree with several posts on this tread.

I like to point out that sometime I travel in the middle lane in a big city because the right lane has all of the on and off ramps that can be hectic (most cars dont pay attention either merging to quickly and cut you off or waiting last minute to slam on brake to take thier exit - so sometime the RIGHT lane is the WRONG lane IMO). Plus if flows too slow for me (Below speed limit most of the time or at a crawl sometimes).

So the middle lane IMO is fine in heavy traffic areas. But I also tend to stay with traffic flow - seems safer to me. Once Im past the congestion I will move over to the right lane and drive at or close to the speed limit.

I will pass cars and trucks on either side of the multi lanes if the traffic if flowing nicely around the slower person in the middle. But I dont change lanes very much and I never tailgate. So sometime I will just wait it out and play it safe. Just have to read the traffic situation.

So to each his own, use your head and drive safely. IMO most RV'er are safer than the average car driver. But sometimes we see knuckle heads.

It’s sounds tome like you’re a good unselfish and responsible driver. For many years I had a commercial drivers license and drive fire equipment. I also found that driving in the middle lane on a 3 lane highway is the preferred lane. Especially on our Southern California lanes because of the numerous and closely spaced onramps and offramps. Having to negotiate all the time becoming drivers is a major pain in the ass. I have no problem passing on the right side in cars on the busy multi-lane highways of So Cal. I do it, although, if I have a choice I’m going to pass on the left. My biggest gripe with the dude driving the Tuscany on Hwy. #101 was that he seemed to be overly aggressive for the conditions at the time. It wasn’t like he was from out of state. He had a Calif. license plate. I guess I’m just too critical. I’ve driven and been driven in emergency vehicles of all types. The thing I tried to strive for when driving is to consider the passengers and the people driving around you. You should strive to make them as comfortable with your driving as possible. The other thing is that large vehicles don’t stop or slow like small vehicles so you have to account for that. Defensive driving always wins out over aggressive driving.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum