Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2018, 09:48 PM   #36
Dilley-Dilley

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #12091
RV Driving Critique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan2 View Post
......Always- "Drive your own rig"

On a two lane highway this makes perfect sense. On three lane highways the number 2 lane in the middle is the most safe lane to drive in as long as you’re driving the speed limit or with the flow of traffic. I find this especially so on California freeways since there are so many onramps and off ramps so closely spaced. There are too many people trying to get on and off for the right lane to be a good choice. Especially if you’re trying to go with the flow. People that drive Hwy. #101 should know that there are many places where it has bottlenecks. The middle lane on a 3 lane section will soon become the right lane on a two lane section and vice versa. Driving on the section through Carpenteria, Montecito, Santa Barbara and Goleta can be challenging for even the best drivers. There are a lot of people driving out there like it’s more important for them to get where they are going than it is for anyone else. The guy that I observed last Sunday that motivated me to write this post seemed like he was driving his large Motorhome without situational awareness. Several observations of his driving led me to that analysis. I don’t know if the guy was just ignorant or if he was indifferent. I do know that he is from California so the visiting from out of State excuse doesn’t apply. I find it interesting how some people can attempt to justify that it is perfectly acceptable to drive a Motorhome at 70+ MPH passing other vehicles in the right lane of a 3 lane highway when the speed limit is 65 MPH. If traffic in the left lane and middle lane is moving slower than traffic in the right lane, then fine pass on the right. It happens all the time. I have no problem driving 70+ MPH in our Motorhome if traffic and road conditions allow for that. Having good Situational Awareness while driving can’t be overstated in my opinion. Following the “Basic Speed Law” and leaving safe distance between yours and other vehicles will help when the unforeseen happens. Safe Travels[emoji846]

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.