Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2018, 01:22 PM   #6
LBrown

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quontum PD31
State: New Hampshire
THOR #10584
Yes the AGS will start the generator if the voltage drops to or below the setting, which I have set at 12v. But the voltage has to start at or below 12 volts for two continuous minutes. The problem is that when the voltage gets down to 12.3 the refrigerator will not run. When it tries to start the voltage drops further, say to 11.8. If it continued to run for two minutes the generator would kick on and all would be well. But after about 30 seconds the refrigerator shuts down and the voltage jumps back up to 12.3. According to a refrigerator technician, the fridge has a safety cut out for low voltage. Several conversations with Xantrex concur that the XM1800 puts out a lower voltage as the input voltage drops and that 11.8 volts input probably yields AC output voltage insufficient to start the refrigerator. They stated that only a "true sine wave" inverter, such as their Freedom X model, would provide 120 volts consistently, regardless of how low the input voltage was. I called Thor and was finally able to speak with someone who knew what I was talking about and he said that with a residential refrigerator I should plan to run the generator manually and not rely on the AGS. He said that the "modified" sine wave XM1800 was the standard at the time my 2016 Quantum was built and that now they are beginning to use the Freedom X. Not a very satisfactory answer but at least I understand why the system of AGS and inverter won't work together in this scenario as I expected they would. I would be interested to know if there is someone out there with a residential refrigerator (running off an XM1800 inverter) that consistently runs long enough to activate the AGS. In my case the refrigerator is the only thing running off the inverter.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum