Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2018, 03:36 PM   #14
jabrabu

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
It's fixed!

I made my original post for this thread back in June, and my generator is finally fixed. It took such a long time partly because we were using the RV a lot this summer, and also because the Cummins warranty authorization took a really long time. They did not want to pay for the removal and re-installation labor, but the generator had to be removed in order to work on it, and they eventually authorized the work.

I had the RV at a Camping World for some other issues along with the generator, and they said that they thought it needed an ignition coil and new control module, but they had to remove the generator to further troubleshoot it. Then I took it to a local generator shop, who is also a Cummins dealer, and they said the same thing.

The main problem turned out to be a cracked ignition coil, and the repair guy said the control module was also suspect and was replaced, so Camping World was correct in the first place. He said the coil may have always been cracked, and use & vibration eventually caused it to fail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	generator.jpg
Views:	2165
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	12783  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum