Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2018, 05:34 PM   #1340
JamieGeek
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Well I happen to click on a link gmtech provided for a volt/amp meter (Amazon, don't click !) and yesterday it magically showed up--not sure how that happened?

Since I was already going to winterize the coach today (boo ) I figured I'd spend the few minutes (ok like 60 of them) putting it in.

Sadly I missed my mark with the saw but I was determined to use the panel and not have to get a new one made (again! You can barely see the two saw marks to the left of the meter).
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-09-15 09.48.23.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	12824
I installed this on the removable panel to the left of the converter box. It only came with about 3" of wire for each terminal so I had to figure out how to lengthen them. I ended up simply soldering on about 12" of very small wire (like 22 gauge or so). I figure these wires don't carry any current so by using a small wire if they short they will be their own fuse . I generously taped up over the solder's and fed the wires through the vent holes in the side of the breaker box. Easy peasy. (The voltage pickup is on the same breaker as the converter so its also protected by a couple of breakers--the main and the 15A breaker for the converter.)

Now what do you do first thing when you get access to more data? Run around measuring things of course:
  • Air Conditioning: Max current I saw was 13 amps, with just the fan running it was 8 amps (the picture above)
  • Water heater running on electric 12 amps
  • Convection microwave on convection heating 12 amps
  • 1500 watt hair dryer 12 amps

So basically you can pick any two and run them without blowing the breaker. (Told the DW about the meter and she got all excited: There is no mystery now: We'll know when we're about to blow the main--or the post--breakers.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.