Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2018, 05:41 PM   #68
skbarbee

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Colorado
THOR #11629
My turn to jump in. I have a 2017 Vegas 25.3 we bought in May. The Coleman AC was useless. On our last trip I took the diffuser off the ceiling and discovered that the AC unit suffers from a HUGE imbalance problem between supply air(cold) and return air (intake). The return duct on the forward side of the unit has about 60 square inches of return air capacity(net free air, as it's called) but the cover/diffuser reduces that capacity to just 8 square inches! I am a retired contractor and have done my fair share of HVAC design and installation so I know that the AC is starved for return air so it can only pump out a fraction of it's capacity. Try taking the cover and diverter off and run the AC. You'll be surprised by the tornado of cold air. So I have built a replacement intake/distribution panel out of plywood and two return grilles. There is also a sliding panel under the supply side grille so I can either allow all the cold air come out into the living room/kitchen, close it completely and force cold air to the round registers in the ceiling, or close it partially to move cold air to all locations.

I'm attaching a couple of pictures to show what I've done. The first one shows the plywood perimeter attached to the AC flange and a new plywood divider between the supply and return sides (get rid of the existing Celotex panel and foam the gaps). The second picture shows the grilles and the sliding panel installed. I took it all apart and painted it white so it looks better than this.

I'm very happy with how it works now. It doesn't look as nice as the Coleman ceiling diffuser but that thing was the cause of the problem. One thing I've noticed about humans is that they very rarely look up so it will never be noticed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4512.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	12842   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4515.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	12843  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.