Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2015, 01:03 AM   #20
Ray O Lite

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
THOR #2428
Currently Addressing this issue!

Very interesting information. I have a 2014 Thor Ace 30.1, just past the year warranty and I am currently seeking a solution to this generator problem. I have read many forums about the ACE but I am writing my first post today so if I can help or inform or prepare another family for the potential of losing generator power in the Ace while travel in heat.

I had to modify my vacation in the southwest US because my generator would quit running when the coach slowed or stopped moving. This happened at 96 degrees and in Chicago in shut down with temperatures at as low as 81 degrees. We had to suffer through the nearly entire state of Nebraska at 88-90 degrees as once our generator shut down, it would start but either shut down quickly or once we tried to run our A/C. Our generator would run again once the engine or outside temperature significantly cooled, about a two hour stop and/or evening temperatures. If we would have encountered traffic slowdowns, we would have been on the highway with our family in anywhere from 80-96 degrees without A/C, just sweating.

When we returned, I followed Thor's advice to take the Ace to the Cummins service center in my area where they informed me that my 4000 rv genset with less than 70 hours was positioned so the air intake was basically drawing in heated air from the hot engine and causing the fuel to vapor lock this would continue to shut down the generator as the side intake system on this coach would continue to pull the heated air unless vent was provide. He advised a vented door with a seal so the generator would only draw air from outside the coach.

I informed Thor of the findings today and Thor is supposed to follow up with a response tomorrow. It is alarming to me that Thor is aware of this problem and has not made modifications to their coaches. Also that Thor is aware of the problem and has helped others make repairs but I had to spend more hours of my time this afternoon in service centers to have Cummins tell me what Thor seems to be already aware of.

My spouse and I were speaking what Thor's legal responsibility to their buyers and their families who maybe unknowingly headed out for their hot summer vacation. I am very interested to hear Thor's response tomorrow.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum