Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2018, 12:32 PM   #10
TurnerFam

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
good point about the ability to only 'control' the power that passes thru the Inverter itself...

If any Hybrid could control the 'whole' of the spectrum of power, then Yes, every item would have to be run thru the Inverter - which is not typical for any RV.

Having said that, I suppose that you could allow it to control the full Inverter circuits, as this is still inclusive of the fridge, microwave, tvs, etc... basically anything 'plugged in' to an outlet, if your coach has all the outlets thru the Inverter, as ours does. The only 'electric' usage might then be air conditioning, and water heating(if on electric).

note: at certain times, we use BOTH the Propane and Electric for water heating, at the same time. If the tank needs quick replenishing and heating, the propane kicks in for a much quicker rise in temperature, while the electric side only kicks in when the water slowly drops in temperature, rarely needing the propane again unless someone takes a very long, hot shower, etc. They actually work very well together.
When off-grid we also just leave the Elec side switch ON - when the generator kicks on from the AGS, the electric side of the water heater gets power, if needed.

I like the idea of a Hybrid inverter for RVs, but I think that it's best usage is when parked long-term, with shore power, but having to pay the electric separately. Now the sun can help offset the electrical needs, and overall cost, with incoming solar.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.