Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2018, 02:10 PM   #36
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
Yes, the first thing I looked for was leverage on front hub. If he had in fact bolted a DRW backwards on front hub, I would see that as possibly unsafe, the tires contact patch would be outside hub face without support from inner tire.

Looking at what he has actually done, I really do not see issue at all. To me it looks to be in an acceptable range in relation to hub face without adding significant amount of added stress. The tire is close enough to directly below the hub face. He explained the offset change in his opening paragraph.

Looks fine to me. I like the added safety margin of the higher load capacity tires. I am curious how the guy who went to commercial grade tires made out as well.
I’m certainly open to a civil technical discussion.

I'm not sure what combination you mean exactly since there are two major types of hubs and two types of wheels. According to both Ford and Alcoa specifications, the difference in offset is approximately 5 inches.

Before starting, it should be noted that Ford specs for E-Series list the same front track width at 69.4 inches whether it’s a SRW or DRW chassis. Both use a 5,000-pound front axle.

For clarity, I want to use a couple of pictures to make certain we are on same page. I can only post one at a time though.

This shows the type of front brake rotor hub used on SRW chassis (may not be exact part). When combined with SRW wheel (that has minimal offset), the track width ends up at 69.4 inches. This is type of hub I have presently.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24A5EE30-9A5F-4D6E-AB74-D3EFEDB8AFBB.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	12882  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.