Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2018, 05:55 PM   #1
m@tt

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Colorado
THOR #13002
Camping in freezing weather

I'm looking at going out in rather cold (-20F possible) weather in the mountains and I'm wondering if anyone else has used my specific model in such conditions.

If so, what did you do to prepare your rig for the weather. I have gray & black enclosed and heated holding tanks. There is a fresh water drain on the driver's side rear which is fully exposed and if that was to freeze/burst my fresh tank would dump out completely. I know I need to insulate it but that's not an easy task given the winding path it takes back to the fresh tank and insulation alone won't prevent freezing, only delay it.

I know I'll blow through the propane keeping the cabin warm enough to prevent line freezing internally so my duration out will likely only be a weekend at a time. Already looking at adding a tee to attach some 20Lb tanks as necessary but there is not enough room between the regulator and the asme output valve so I'm having a place quote it out for their pros (of which I am not) to do it.

I've got vent inserts ordered, a tiny electric space heater as a supplement for a key area (wet bin or under sink if needed), and a couple desiccant based dehumidifiers because I've heard how humidity can be an enemy.

It also seems like this kind of camping is done mostly with 5th wheel and travel trailers rather than with a class c. Is my ambition misplaced with this specific rig?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum