Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Electric E-450!
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2018, 04:43 PM   #39
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazinskm View Post
So to the engineers out there, if we take a "tesla" type battery pack and put it in a class C, how much range do we have? What if you double those batteries?

.....cut.....
I can give an educated rough estimate.

My cousin routinely gets a little over 200 miles of range with his Tesla (really fast car by the way). A conventional car that size would get “approximately” 4 times the fuel economy of a typical Class C (say 32 versus 8 MPG), so it’s fair to say a Class C needs about 4X more power on average (more or less). This assumes most modern engines have “similar” Brake Specific Fuel Consumption.

The same battery in his Tesla (85 kWh) that powers the car just over 200 miles would therefore not go much over +/- 50 miles. That puts it in right “ballpark”.

Doubling the battery size would roughly double distance to about 100 miles. Lithium batteries, unlike lead-acid, supply roughly the same amount of energy at higher or lower power levels.

To this point of range, many motorhomes get driven so little that it would be very expensive compared to small internal combustion engine. To me, a hybrid system is more economically viable than pure electric.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.