Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2018, 08:18 PM   #3573
PapaMo

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 Newmar Canyon Star
State: California
THOR #6863
Hittin' the road

Well, now that my wife officially retired 2 weeks ago, we're getting ready to hit the road. Heading across the northern parts of Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, and Oklahoma -- and then returning to SoCal with a more southern route (never been to Carlsbad Caverns). Taking about a month.

I wanted to take a moment and thank Dave, Jerry, Dino and many others for tips on preparing to take such an extensive trip. At 3,500 miles, I decided to do the first oil change. Installed a Fumoto valve (can't wait until next change to use it!) I also found that the most difficult thing I've done yet in all of the things I've done (CHF, front and rear, snap pads, etc.) -- was to add the dang motor oil!! Holy cow! What an engineering nightmare!

I remembered that Dave had mentioned in the past using a hand-pump that connected right to the 'can' of oil. A tad tedious, but no more laughable mess (or was I crying...?) In fact, for you 29M owners, if you get one of these pumps -- mine was from AutoZone for $10 -- the fill tube fits right into the dipstick tube. This allowed me to rest the oil container on top of the grill and pump away. You do want to keep a close eye on the fill tube to make certain it doesn't pop out of the dipstick tube during the pumping process. That did not happen to me. I swear. Thank you, SuperD !!

I will post if I come across things to look for with our rigs...or to confirm ideas already brought up. Said it before, but I'll say it again -- what Jerry started here has made a positive impact on all our lives. Comfort, convenience and safety.

To those of you heading to the balloon festival...enjoy! I'll wave as I go by!

Kent
ReadyBrute Elite towing & braking
PapaMo is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.