Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2018, 09:15 PM   #11
USTraveler

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: South Dakota
THOR #9611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
I no longer store the RV for the winter, but when I store it between uses, I disconnect the coach batteries and connect them to a battery maintainer. I do not disconnect the engine battery, but leave it on a battery maintainer. If you cannot use battery maintainers, you need to disconnect all batteries for long term storage. When I used to store my RV in the winter I didn't like starting the engine or the generator during storage. I think the strain of starting a dead cold engine is harmful, and I don't think that idling for long periods of time in cold weather is good for an engine.

I think there are a lot of people that live in the Northern half of the Continent that might question whether starting a dead cold engine is harmful. I believe the engines are designed to operated in even the coldest climates and I have started various cars and trucks routinely at temps considerably below zero, even if the vehicles sat outside all the time. I have not experienced any major issues. It is important to maintain the vehicles as appropriate for the climate however.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.