Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2018, 01:21 AM   #14
skiptut

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29M Windsport
State: Georgia
THOR #12172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
I lived in northern and central New Hampshire for sixty years and have dealt with starting vehicles that were left out for extended periods of time in below zero weather. Even when multi viscosity oil became available, starters, solenoids, and batteries struggled to turn the engines over fast enough to get them to start. I've used dip stick heaters, block heaters, light bulbs, heat lamps, covered engines with heavy canvas, and I even brought batteries in the house for the night in order to get the vehicle started in the morning. Starting a dead cold engine requires a tremendous amount of battery amperage and it takes time for the oil to flow over some of the moving parts. Idling a vehicle will not boil moisture from the oil and it can accumulate over time if the engine is not run on the road long enough for the moisture to boil off. I say do not start an engine in the winter unless the vehicle has to be driven a considerable distance.
With what you said, is it best to start the generator for an hour to allow for a recharge to the batteries if you don't have power to the RV? I understand the idea of not "idling" the V10. That has never been a good idea, you got to burn off the moisture in the engine.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum