Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2018, 02:26 AM   #1
Coffee-Girl

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 28Z
State: Georgia
THOR #12330
We did it- 1st mom and son RV trip complete!

I just wanted to give an update. I got the new-to-me 2018 Thor Four Winds 28Z and with lots of help from this forum, my 14 yo son and I took it to DC. We didn't even make it out of the driveway before having our first problem. One of the inner real wheel tire stems broke and of course it was in the evening so no help until morning. Finally found a place that could fix it but not until later in the morning.

So we got a late start- lots of local traffic- then once we were well underway the rain started- I pulled over because it was hard to see - I walked around the inside just looking at stuff. And guess what I found in the bathroom? Water coming in the vent- the cover had come off. I didn't check it before we left because I hadn't opened it Lesson learned- check it anyway!!!! We found a Walmart in a kinda sketchy area and got some items to try and patch it (sadly this Walmart did not sell RV vent covers).

I was going to continue driving but the rain got too bad for me to see well. We pulled over in the 1st rest stop in Virginia- which was very nice. We waited for the rain to stop but it didn't so we slept for a few hours. The first CW we stopped at wasn't opened so we drove closer to our campground (Cherry Hill) but a little out of the way to another CW. It was a nice CW but they weren't familiar with the covers. The first one I bought was the wrong one- picture me on the roof in the rain trying to do this- I definitely was not a happy camper at this point. Eventually got the right cover and got it on. And off we went to Cherry Hill RV park.

Cherry Hill park is great! We used public transportation to get around. We saw and did so much together. It was a great time for my son and I. Well--- until we took a night tour and I fell down (no alcohol was involved) and dislocated my finger- holy cow- I had to pop it back in myself. OUCH! Finished the tour and then made a temporary splint out of plastic utensils and utility tape......lolololol… seriously I am not making this up. Oh did I mention I fell into a pool of water? Like not a puddle - I was completely submerged iPhone, apple watch and all. Good news- phone and watch still work YAY!!!! My ear buds however did not make it.

We made it home without incident. MY finger is swollen and bruised. I hope to get it looked at tomorrow and see if it's fractured or not.

My son and I definitely learned a lot. He learned that camping is a good bit of work and a lot of fun. The RV drove well. We are looking forward to more RV time together.

Thanks to everyone who contributes o the forum because every little bit helps. And a special thank you to Gritz Carlton for going above and beyond in helping a fellow RVer!! Awesome is an understatement to describe him for all the help he has given me- I am very thankful that I found this forum.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum