Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2018, 09:48 PM   #18
USTraveler

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: South Dakota
THOR #9611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
I lived in northern and central New Hampshire for sixty years and have dealt with starting vehicles that were left out for extended periods of time in below zero weather. Even when multi viscosity oil became available, starters, solenoids, and batteries struggled to turn the engines over fast enough to get them to start. I've used dip stick heaters, block heaters, light bulbs, heat lamps, covered engines with heavy canvas, and I even brought batteries in the house for the night in order to get the vehicle started in the morning. Starting a dead cold engine requires a tremendous amount of battery amperage and it takes time for the oil to flow over some of the moving parts. Idling a vehicle will not boil moisture from the oil and it can accumulate over time if the engine is not run on the road long enough for the moisture to boil off. I say do not start an engine in the winter unless the vehicle has to be driven a considerable distance.

Like you I have lived in the North (Central US) for more than 60 years and have experienced the same things you referred to and used the same devices you mentioned. One of my "fondest" memories was having an Oldsmobile 442 in an unheated garage during 32 degree below zero temps with a 1500 watt space heater directly under the oil pan and the darn thing wouldn't start. My experience has been that the main reasons for a vehicle not starting in cold weather is either a weak battery, bad spark plugs, or incorrect lubrication. In the last couple of decades the technological advances in batteries, solid state ignitions, fuel injection, computer controlled engine electronics, and synthetic oils have reduced cold starting problems considerably. I agree that short trips in cold weather is a definite strategy for problems. I used to drive about 6 miles to work and parked outside. Maybe 4 miles to the grocery store or other shopping. As a result I would have my oil changed monthly during the long winter months to keep it from starting to resemble a latte rather engine oil. Engines have to run at their operating temp to be most efficient and burn off the condensation that accumulates in the oil when the hot engine cools down or the cold engine heats up and my experience has been that is at least 10 miles. Even now when taking my motorhome out of storage I will drive it 8 to 10 miles on my way home just to keep it healthy, even during the summer months. It is also a good idea to run the generator for 20 to 30 minutes pretty regularly. Just my input and express my appreciation for the advances in vehicle power train technology.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.