Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2018, 12:44 AM   #1
lspotho

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta
State: California
THOR #3975
Disable retractable steps?

I was surprised not to find anything on this when I did a search here - maybe that should tell me something...

Anyway - I *really* want some way to disable the steps underneath the coach door at times - specifically, when we get home and have to park next to the curb, instead of the driveway. The steps almost always hit the curb or sidewalk, and stop - but I am afraid they still get hung up, and not retract later... I realize Thor would consider the current design to be a feature, not a bug - and would warn me that I am going to step out, forget there is no step extended, and do a face plant. But I like to live dangerously...

This seems pretty simple - find the wire that drives the motor, splice in a manual switch, and live happily ever after. Anything wrong with this?

To be clear - there appears to be NO WAY to make this happen currently, except disconnecting the battery cables. The switch on the control panel keeps them from retracting, but not from extending (as designed, I believe). The STOR/USE switch, in STOR mode, does not prevent the extension (or other operation) of the steps.

Has anyone done this? Any details on best way to implement it? I can do some basic electrical work, but have no experience running wires in an rv - so keeping the switch and the splice close together would be nice.

BTW - We have a 2016 Thor Siesta 24SA.

Thanks!
Dan

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum