Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2018, 11:14 PM   #1
Reid

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #13548
New member - long time RVer

Hi,
Karen and I are long-time RVers and just traded in our 2011 Damon Avanti 3106 Class A diesel for a 2018 Freedom Elite 24FE on a Sprinter diesel chassis; that is called "downsizing" from 32' to 24'. Our first RV was a 1966 VW camping van (I told you that we were old) that we bought new when stationed with U.S. Army in France. Since then, we've owned Class A, B, C, travel trailer and a popup trailer. We loved the Avanti but as we got older thought a smaller one might be a little more safe.
I am retired from the Army; Karen just retired after 44 years as a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist, and we take our motorhome to Key West Naval Air Station in mid-December staying three months (we don't like cold NC weather). While there about 8 years ago, a lady we had previously met with her husband arrived and parked next to us. Found out that her husband had died but she still wanted to come to Key West. But, her husband had always done everything setting up the RV so she asked for assistance. As I began helping, another military retiree on the other side came over and also began to help. Others then began assembling around us and this turned into an RV101 class that we have continued teaching twice a year for eight years. We were both surprised how little RV salespeople educate the buyers on how to setup and operate their RV. We tell the class that we are both "school-trained"... at the school of hard knocks... meaning we've made a bunch of mistakes over the years. I ended up taking the handouts of info and published a book that I sold to the folks at the RV park for what it cost me to have it printed.
One of the mistakes I just made was in not researching the new RV purchase as what I thought was "standard" on this motorhome was not there. I saw the online Thor brochure where the features information indicated that it had a radio that was XM satellite ready.... but an XM module cannot be added to this radio; am currently looking at a work-around. Also thought that a solar controller came as "standard" but will have to add this. For the Sprinter, the Mercedes Benz owner's book mentions a tire pressure warning system but found out it doesn't come on the RV models. So, will use the TPMS from the old Avanti. So, lesson-learned... check out all the features on a new RV before you sign on the dotted line.

I am/will be adding the following that we had on our Avanti:
* ARP (absorption refrigerator protection) a device that detects when the refrigerator "boiler stack" is getting too hot (this can happen when RV is not level and also for other reasons) and shuts it off to protect the unit until temperature of boiler goes down.
* Add another 12 volt coach battery (not enough space for four 6-volt units). We dry camp a lot and may also consider installing a TriMetric 2025 RV Battery Monitor to have a more accurate reading of battery status.
* Add MaxxAir / MaxxVent 12 volt vent fans at front and rear vents
* Added bidet hose to toilet
* Have an auto parts store fabricate a pipe to divert exhaust from generator to rear of coach (requirement in Key West). The slide prevents use of a Gen-turi which directs the exhaust up and over the coach.

Looking forward to your responses.... Sorry to be so lengthy on the initial post.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum