Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2018, 07:41 PM   #45
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I haven’t shopped any of them but I wonder if the so called “super C’s” would fill this need. As I understand it these are C’s built on a stripped work truck chassis. This would give the front engine, Ford cab with no dog house and the greater load capacity.

A Super-C is not exactly what I was thinking of. To me the main functional difference between a Super C (like Ford F-550) and a common “regular” C (like Ford E-450) is larger size and available Diesel engine. Other disadvantages compared to a traditional Class A remain for the most part. The cab to me doesn’t seem any more open than a regular C, and in some ways it’s worse due to lower seating position. Getting in and out of cab to coach is often no better even without the doghouse. Additionally, the coach floor is often much higher than the cab floor, so visibility to the front for those seating in back can be obstructed. Granted, some larger truck chassis are more open than the Ford F-550, but that’s going in the wrong direction for those trying to downsize.

I think Super Cs are great for those looking at 30~35 foot or larger Cutaways, but don’t have a role in the RUV-size segment.

When I said we are close today, I was thinking more in terms of a “micro-size” Class A limited to 21~24 feet based on Mercedes, Ford, or RAM large Euro vans. That’s the only option I’m aware of that combines the attributes of a “C” with the full-width and open cab of an “A”. While camper van growth rate has been extremely successful in past 5 years or so, I think it will level off because they are still too small for too many buyers. Without even larger vans I’m not sure sales growth will continue.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum