Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2018, 04:50 PM   #7
Sneezeweed

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger
State: Georgia
THOR #5002
Clearing up some questions.

In response to some of the reply's I've gotten:

I was in error on the size - it's actually 24" instead of 26" It's not positioned within my viewing area of the road or objects that shold be within my field of vision necessary to drive safely. It's not like watching TV while driving. It provides the same sensation as if you are looking in your rear view mirror when you're driving a car, van, or truck. Taking a quick glance at the monitor is MUCH better than looking down at my small dash monitor and then back to the road. It's ALSO much better than taking you eyes off the road to look in a side mirror.

As you can see in my attached photo, where its mounted, it is not much below the sun shading on my windshield. When I drive, I usually lower the night shade a little anyway to block out the glare of the sun - which also helps with the contrast of the monitor on bright days.

When I took this photo, our RV was parked in our back yard, and it was pretty cloudy outside, which makes the monitor look like its black and white - it's actually a color monitor. My only complaint I personally have thus far is that when driving at night, my current backup camera doesn't do well with low light levels - but I'm going to replace that soon with a pan/tilt/zoom camera with better low light level response, which will then let me tilt the camera to see the pumps when I'm pulling up to refill my tank.

Just for some reference, I don't wear glasses (except for reading). I've also been a ham radio operator for over 50 years, so I don't sweat the technical stuff.

Hope this clears up some questions, and reassures everyone that I find this to be MUCH SAFER, than driving with just mirrors.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum