Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2018, 09:05 PM   #39
Firedog91902

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #11959
E bikes and RV travel is a perfect match. We no longer bring a tow (car or motorcycle). We "hang" 3 from the back of our 25' Isata. A road tandem for wife and me. A trail single for my fun and an extra to sell or for guests. Front hub builds work best with RVs since the front wheel (and the motor weight) is easy to remove. Then lifting, even a tandem, on to a rack is easy.

Just remember they are still bicycles and you pedal...... but you'll feel 20 years younger and the hills now seem flat. If you only use the motor you will be disappointed with the speed and range. And you'll miss the fun of passing "Tour de France" type athletes. Get a moped instead.

I build them from the ~$150 Chinese brushless hub/wheel/controller kits and older, but high end bikes (cheap). Batteries are the crucial part. Lead acid are very heavy and don't last many cycle when deeply discharged. Lithuim MnCo 18650 cells I think are the best choice. The same cells are in as in most Tesla cars, in electric bike batteries($500+), but also in Makita, and other brand tool batteries. Since tool batteries are made in the millions, with robots, the cost is a small fraction of ebike batteries. They are also more rugged, faster charging, safer and they last.

Mount them to the bike just like snapping a battery on to your drill. Recharge them off the bike on a factory charger in an hour or so. The mounting bus is simple to build and 3d printed mounts are now available for most brands on eBay. 36v500w (25mph) kit needs two 18v batteries in series (2s1p). 4 batteries (2s2p) more than doubles the range. You'll want to use the higher capacity batteries (5ah+). I use and sell enough to have 15cell, 18v@10.5ah batteries in Makita cases specially built. Two of those will power me 20 to 30 miles on a charge. Our favorite tandem (we have 4) mounts six (54v@21AH) has a range of over 50 miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV and bikes.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	13989   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0025.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	13990  

Name:	SAM_0017.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	13991   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2848.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	13992  

Name:	SAM_0004.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	13993  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.