Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2018, 06:45 PM   #32
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I'm a slow learner and have fought Chance on this "electric crap" since I joined the Forum. I looked at the new Jaguar I Pace HSE. Perfect car for retirement once we reach the beach and will not be traveling much in the car anymore! I'm slowly coming around!! Imagine never having to buy gasoline anymore!!
It’s good to question new ideas and things.

Funny thing is that I selfishly don’t care about the gas savings all that much because most of my RV driven miles are long distance, so a hybrid powertrain won’t save me that much anyway. Granted, if I remain in a van-size RV that I can use as a second car, I would certainly use it as much as possible — to airport, shopping trips, visit family in Texas, etc. The Workhorse W-15 pickup posted by Frank has an estimated electric range of only 80 miles, so not very useful when I drive 500+ miles in a day when used as a camper.

Having said that, for me the beauty is that the battery bank must be fairly large — probably in range of +/- 40 kWh, so it could power an entire small camper all day without using the range extender generator. And since the range extender probably puts out well above 40 kW, it should recharge battery in an hour or so. So whether you’re at racetrack or I’m tailgating at football games, we could leave A/C running all day and all night with minimal noise, emissions, or fuel consumption.

Adapting a hybrid system for camping electrical needs makes even more sense to me than using it to just improve vehicle MPG — because it should improve a camper’s fuel economy on the highway very little.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum