Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2018, 01:35 PM   #4
TurnerFam

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Ultimately, a Class A Challenger and a similar Class A Palazzo diesel are going to get you where you want to go - people travel in both every day, everywhere... no worries.

If you are used to gas engines and maintaining them, having a gas RV is simpler, and easier to understand.

That was me, back in 2014, we had our eye on a new 2014 Challenger that had yet to arrive at MHSRV in Texas, though we made our way out there from GA... knowing we'd arrive around the time it was supposed to. Unfortunately, it got backed up at the factory and the transport company, but the dealer allowed us to stay on property until it arrived.

My wife had a different idea - she saw and toured the 2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 while we were 'waiting' on our Challenger. I did not want a diesel, had little knowledge of diesel pushers, and frankly, was a little intimidated by the 'no emergency brake' and 'electronic transmission keypad' setup... I also had no working knowledge of air brakes, and the fact that there was no 'park' on the transmission pad had me concerned(?)... wow.
My wife said that I would get used to it, I was a man, and it shouldn't concern me as others drove these everyday, everywhere. She was right.

We loved our Georgetown XL gas coach, but the difference in the torque and feel of the Cummins diesel was a nice reassurance. Yes, it did take me a few miles of driving, and a few days of stop and go to realize it's full value, but once I grew accustomed to how it 'works', I would be very hesitant to go back to a gas RV.

As for towing, we pulled our car on a car dolly with our Georgetown XL and had no issues. We tow our car 4-down with our Palazzo and you wouldn't even/ever know it's back there.
Either will handle it fine.

I'll add, though, some differences between the platforms:
- Class A gas chassis's sit up higher, and have a higher center of gravity, therefore they can feel a bit more pushed by passing semis and trucks, and turns can feel a slight bit more tipsy. Class A diesels, especially those on the Freightliner XCS Chassis, like my Palazzo, and the FR Legacy, and Fleetwood PaceArrow, and some others, sit much lower, have a lower center of gravity, feel less pushed by passing traffic, and seem to handle turns more smoothly.
- Class A gas chassis's sit on leaf springs, and therefore have no way to 'lower' when parked. Class A diesel's sit on air bags, which not only provides for a better, smoother drive, but are deflated when parked, so the coach can sit much lower, therefore the coach seems to be quieter(less movement) when at the campground or rv park. The leveling system does not have to send down the legs near as far as on a gas RV. Our Palazzo sits so low that it also only requires a single exterior step, and many times that single step is not even needed, really. Class A gas coaches typically have two or three steps - they just sit so high you need that many.

- Class A diesel pushers are much, much more quiet as you are driving, giving you the ability to talk in normal voices and enjoy music or radio easily. While gas units have the engine right between the two front driver and passenger seats, which provides easier maintenance access, creates a loud ride, especially when the transmission drops gears when ascending and descending hills and mountains, though it's designed to do just that.

- Class A diesels are going to more expensive per oil change, but they only require maintenance every 15,000 miles, more longer between changes that the typical gas engine. Speedco and other semi truck service centers provide 'drive thru' oil changes, so there are options to have this performed fairly quickly, and without any reservations. While gas RVs are having maintenance more often, most of us diesels are still out traveling.

- Class A diesels tend to have larger fuel tanks, a fuel fill on both sides of the coach, and the fills are up front right next to the driver/passenger... so it's much easier to pull up to any diesel pump and know you are within reach of the hose, whether truck stops or regular fuel stations, which I tend to use exclusively - truck stops are too expensive. Some will say that having to also use some DEF liquid periodically is a drawback, and another cost, DEF last for so many miles and at $8 per 2 1/2 gall jug at W*mt, it's not really any big deal. You can easily carry a jug and use it when needed. You DEF tank can probably take you 1,000 to 2,000 miles before refilling.

- Fuel consumption for diesels, at least those on the lower chassis and lower HP isb models, can be between 10 and 12 mpg. Conversely, any gas RV is going to be more like 7-8 mpg, and with smaller fuel tanks, making stops for fueling much more often. If you travel a lot, every mile is going to be a cost savings in fuel, making it possible to offset the additional cost of a diesel in fuel consumption alone.
Insurance statistics also show that the most RV 'accidents' are tail-swing damage at fuel stations - the more stops you make the more opportunity for a situation. Just a thought to consider. A note: diesel tend to have their rear axle farther back than a gas unit on a ford Chassis, so the tail-swing issue is less of a concern on diesels since the turning 'point' is farther back.

- Class A diesels tend to be beefier when it comes to the fact that they are all 50amp coaches, with sizable Inverters, and typically 4 or more 6v House batteries, to power most all outlets, including the residential fridge and microwave, while on the 'whole house' inverter, off-grid.
They also tend to have much larger Generators, to provide close to full 50amp power, even when shore power is not available, and include the AGS(automatic generator starter) systems to provide seamless power and battery charging, as needed, while off-grid.

- Diesels cost more upfront. Diesels sell for more later.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.