Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2018, 04:42 PM   #8
TurnerFam

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
while I've owned a fifth-wheel, Class A gas, and now a Class A diesel, I've also delivered both brand new Class A gas and diesel units, including tag axles, to dealers across the country.
Knowing that, I've found that I would MUCH rather drive a diesel coach since it's fuel economy is much greater, especially over very long distances. I've also found that the fuel fill location for gas units actually create a much greater aggravation when trying to pull into a gas station and line up your fill with the pump's hose/reach.

The manufacturers who promote the rear 'middle' fuel fill as a positive benefit, as supposedly it makes filling from 'either side' a possibility, are full of it! The rear middle fuel fill actually makes it MUCH MORE DIFFICULT since you have to be VERY correct on landing the rear of the RV right next to the pump, which may take several times exiting the coach to find that you are not quite there yet, and even then many hoses are not long enough to reach.
If you have a bike rack or cargo carrier on the hitch, you may have an even harder time getting to the rear middle fuel fill itself.

Having said that, I wouldn't make my decision on whether a gas or diesel on that alone, but it's just one more reason that folks who own diesels tend to know the reasons why they own them - most diesel owners are previous gas owners.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum