Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: stress crack
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2015, 05:52 PM   #4
Beacher

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
Of course I'm not understanding exactly where this crack is, what is under it, if it's accessible form behind, etc.....

BUT generally speaking if it were mine I would stop drill the crack so that it doesn't continue growing

Then I would evaluate what makes more sense
a) covering with a patch
b) filling with a body filler and repainting
c) taking it to a body repair shop
d) replacing the part.

Yes, I agree with stopping the crack from propagating by drilling a hole.

Find out why the front cap cracked in the first place. Make sure that the mounts to the chassis are actually making contact with the fiberglass cap, (you can peek underneath and see from behind). There have been threads posted about owners finding that their front cap isn't actually attached to the chassis.

Then, I would repair the gelcote.

Thankfully, fiberglass gelcote is very easy to repair, (even by hand with a sandpaper block). The only real trick is to match the color, especially if yours is the HDMax grey or tan hued gelcote. It can be done.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum