Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Outdoor TV
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2018, 10:04 PM   #22
LandKO

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
Today I bit the bullet and removed my outdoor TV. Not an easy task as I found out. Ended up taking about two hours.

The outdoor TV on my Freedom Elite 30FE Was NOT installed using:
Magnets
A swivel arm
An articulated arm
A friction mount that you just lift up on.

The actual fixed bracket Thor used does not have any identification (p/n or Manufacturer) on it other than a stick on label that says "Made in China"

It was, to Thor's credit, a locking bracket, that would prevent someone from stealing the TV without ripping it off the wall. And that's what I ended up doing (minus the stealing part).

However, I found out afterwards that as installed, the locking feature was inaccessible to see or touch.

IF Thor had installed a hanging chain in the hole in the locking feature, it might have been a clue that it was there and make it feasible to unlock the mount. But maybe that is a secret only known to authorized service people (being facetious)

I was able, using an inspection mirror and a small inspection camera, to remove two nuts that attached the top of the bracket mounted to the TV from the bracket that was attached to the wall, but was unable to see or access the lower attach point. My jostling and prying the bottom of the TV eventually pulled the two mounting bolts, attaching the mounting bracket to the wall out of the fiberboard they were screwed into.

Fortunately, there was minimal damage to the wall as the bolts were only screwed into the fiberboard and not into threaded inserts.

For those curious as to why I removed the outdoor TV, my purpose was twofold.

1. I didn't really want an outdoor TV. About the only time we watch TV when camping is at night or when its raining. Besides I can us the removed TV in the bedroom where there are mounting and wiring provisions
2. Our TT, which we traded in on the Motorhome, had an outdoor kitchen which I used quite a bit. I intend to design an build a fold out table at the old TV location that I can place my portable induction cooktop on to be able to continue cooking outside.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum