Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2015, 03:00 PM   #39
EA37TS
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
We do that sometimes.... idle the V-10 to cool the coach..... rather than the generator since it's quieter. I sure do wish there was a better muffler available for the onan!
Very interesting about that 0.8GPH number..... I have wondered what that burn rate would be. Wonder if that's a good number???
There are a couple problems/issues with running the engine at idle rather than running the generator.

First, at idle the engine does not adequately burn the fuel thereby causing the build up of carbon and other deposits in the valve train and leading to higher valve train related failure rates.

Second, at idle the engine may not reach the operating temperature over time to adequately had vapors generated in the oil pan and lubricating system. This may result in reduced oil life and increased emission control problems with crankcase ventilation components and oxygen sensors.

The Ford manual states that with excessive idling the engine oil and filter must be replaced every 5000 miles rather than the at 7500 mile intervals under normal operating conditions. Also, according to the service schedule the spark plugs, under excessive idling, must be replaced every 60,000 miles rather than every 97,500 miles.

The Ford engine is meant to power the vehicle down the road, not cool the coach when you are sitting in a campground. The generator on the other hand is meant to provide AC power to the coach when shore power is not available.

Although it is not important to me (I rarely boondock), one might look into what makes a "Quiet Generator" quiet and see if those principles can be applied to the Onan line.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.