Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2018, 01:33 PM   #9
JamieGeek
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
I replied to this yesterday but clearly I had an issue...don't see it now.

Anyway, others have said pretty much what I did.
You'll likely get into colder stuff than I've been in, but we have used the RV in weather right at freezing a bit.

I'd plan on running the furnace a bit but not rely on it for your only heat. It will drain your tank in nothing flat since it will run nearly all the time. (and I personally wouldn't want to sleep with it on). Instead I'd want to make sure the power source is good and use a couple of electric space heaters.

I'd try to park out of the wind as much as possible to minimize both the drafts and chill inside, but also to help in keeping my tank drains from having problems. On that note if it turned out to be a seriously cold weather system on those days I'd probably plan on using my tank heat pads and probably poor some antifreeze in the tan bottoms just to protect those valves a bit. I've been ok though without doing this.

Also, I'd use my reflectix window shades and my roof vent 'pillows' for added insulation.

One other thought... since you're with family this request would be a little easier I think.... I'd plan on running more than one electric heater, and at least one of them I'd run on an extension cord connected to a different circuit.... guessing you'd be plugging your 30A through a dogbone into their porch or garage outlet. Having a heater on a different circuit would hopefully give a little insurance against tripped breakers or GFCI's when you might be asleep or away.
my main concern would be keeping the house warm enough to protect your fresh water system. I could be wrong but I recon if it comes down to it if the waste tanks freeze it'll only prevent you form dumping. Not likely to cause serious problems....again just a guess though.
Interesting: Being in the Northern climes we frequently sleep with the furnace on. Its no different than our big house furnace. Been doing that since our first RV almost 20 years ago.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum