Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2018, 01:15 PM   #55
thor293

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor29.3inAZ View Post
While I was in the dealer the other day a customer with a 29.3 had installed a second A/C (the dealer said he could with all the installed wiring and 4000 gen). What he was trying to convey to the service person was when he had the first A/C on everything worked find (using the gen). When he try to start the second A/C the generator would surge to the point of almost stalling out. Long story, is the installed a regular 15,000 BTU A/C unit. With both trying to run off of the generator it can not produce the AMPs to get the 2nd A/C up to speed and maintain the required power to both. A tech was called in to see what could be done. He said there are A/C units out there that have really low draw but are only around 10,000 BTU's..... So that might be a way to go. I haven't researched it yet to see if that indeed true. I do know for the Thor models like ours, there is ducting and wiring set up already. You have to remove the rear fan/vent and everything is there.
I think if you put one of the small units in that it could run both but it will still be on the verge of maxing out, turn on the Microwave or a coffee pot or hair dryer its gonna kill the generator. I believe that most of us that installed a second AC have put it on a separate line that has to be plugged in. I personally cant see trying to run 2 ac's off of the generator while driving and if you are boon docking then you need to reconsider if it is worth it, the fuel being used will rival paying for a fhu site in a campground.
Someone didnt put any thought into the consequences of installing a second ac on the same service for the rest of the rv. The real issue even if both AC's are under 30 amps together is the startup. A 13,500 unit can pull 20 amps on start
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.