Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2018, 05:10 PM   #9
TurnerFam

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I spoke with both Thor and Magnum today.

Thor thought that the idea of a 12v D.C. WhiteRodgers or Trombetta coil going bad might be a cause for the Inverter losing power/cutting off, although trying to get an explanation of 'what' these coils are installed for is not readily known, at least no by the phone tech. He sent over some 'harness wiring' diagrams, but they really don't show the devices, or any explanation. Replacing a $50 to $75 coil is not a big deal, but why if you don't need to, or figuring out 'which' of the two might be the one.

Magnum seemed to think that the symptoms certainly give the impression that the Inverter is losing 12v input, and therefore shutting 'OFF'. Since it will power back ON immediately thereafter rules out a Buss breaker or fuse.
The interjection of the 'flickering' of 12v lights also makes it seem as it a lose of 12v power, even if just for a moment', might be the problem.
Now, the first idea was that the battery bank might not be holding up to a 'sudden large draw' and dipping down enough that the Inverter thinks that it's either lost all 12v power, or it has dropped enough to trip the LBCO, even if just for a moment, and even if the battery levels show at levels that would never cause it, otherwise, and even if the Inverter didn't show a 'Fault'.
I don't really think that this is plausible, as the panel has never shown the battery levels below 12.5 or so, EVEN with many 120v items in play, while the inverter is working. The 'OFF' action happens so quickly, that the panel does not show any 'lower' voltage number, even if so.

I am still leaning toward a bad 12v d.c. coil, but 'which' one is the question.

I've been told to apply a voltmeter, on the DCV setting, to both sides of the 'inputs' of the coil. I'm not a voltmeter experienced user, and probably don't have it set correctly, or know what 'response' to really be looking for. Or, should it be set to 'ohms' to measure the correct resistance that the coil is needing to handle?

Maybe someone can walk me thru the process. I imagine you want to measure this when the inverter is OFF, and when it's ON, as well as the moment 'when' you apply the larger draw?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.