Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2018, 01:05 AM   #11
javelin

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Just happened to look in this forum area and noted your inverter failure situation. Thought I would add my 25cents worth (may not even be worth that though).
Since I am not familiar with your coach DC configuration this is just my “off the cuff winging it” comments .......and see what happens:

Typical inverter 12VDC feeders I thought would be wired directly off the coach battery via a suitably sized inverter fuse and conductors, depending on inverter size etc. (i.e. 200 Amps+ fuse probably). So if that is true there should be no inverter DC feed current even passing through any set of relay contacts (latching or otherwise). If for example, the inverter was connected on the coach load side of the RV Custom latching relay......that latching relay would have to be rated for the load current of the normal coach DC loads plus the inverter. Not to say the relays can’t be rated for those load currents, but I would “speculate” the inverter is a direct tie off the coach batteries with its own fuse for protection and disconnection if required for service. So my “guess” (Similar to a few previous folks) is your coach batteries; clean/tighten the terminations of the inverter connections on the coach battery and at the inverter also.

Regarding the volt meter testing of relay contacts.....you would put the meter + lead on the contact connected to the +12VDC coach battery and the negative meter lead on the other load side contact of the relay under test (most digital meters will automatically read negative too if the wires are reversed). Close the relay under some test load and the measured voltage should ideally be zero for a short circuit formed by the closed relay contacts. You could use an ohmmeter to measure contact resistance too, but only on dead circuits. The voltage reading is easier and safer for the meter. Maybe that was only worth a nickel?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum