Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2018, 01:37 PM   #9
jimmyzshack

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis
State: Louisiana
THOR #13864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Oh, thats great - awesome RV - lol. What do you plan on running on the 2000K inverter? Microwave? Hair dryer? I have not tired either but it might run one at a time with my setup.

I was going to go with a small inverter (600 - 800 watt) to just run on one TV and charge my computer and charge a couple of phones until I found this Aims 1200 inverter with 20 amp auto transfer switch. (Search Youtube for "2trailhikers" or the Aims 1200 watt inverter install - I followed that almost exactly).

Your right, the OEM wiring is not enough for 2000 watt but for my needs I didnt need one that big. You could hook it up like I have mine but it might limit you to say 1500 - 1600 watts on the 4 gauge. But perhaps that more than enough for your needs? Only you can decide that.

I was at first aprehensive on my install (small gauge wire) but im very happy I installed it this way. For one it was much simpler, two works perfect, three I didnt waste other valuable space inside or outside my Axis (Like I was going to do with my small inverter Idea).

It has more than enough juice for 2 tv's at the same time, 2 lap tops charging, and 2 cell phone with power to spare. It also can run the frige if I want (It was on the same breaker so I bet yours the same). So now I have a 3 way frige if I want (but I been using Gas instead to save battery juice).

I also installed 2 Full River AGM 6V under my steps. Tight fit but the work great. The best thing is NO MODES needed to install them and I have so much reserve power compared to the wimpy OEM batteries.

Think about it, Search the forum for my writeups (I dont know how to do those links but if JamieGeek is reading this Im sure he will attach them to this thread - lol).

Or shoot me a PM and I would be glad to answer any question. Im very happy with my setup.
He "2trailhikers" has some great video i've watch about all of them, we have the same year and floor plan as his.

Battle Born batteries had a cyber monday special on some "blimshed" batteries with full warranty so i have 2 coming in tomorrow. I'm going to put them behind the converter were i'm putting the inverter. Inverter is in the picture on the left just not mounted yet. Have to build a little subfloor/self above all them wires to put the batteries on. I'm not going to use that space under the steps anymore, too exposed.

I'm going to use some 1/0 gauge to go the couple of feet to the inverter, inverter also has a remote 12volt on off wire like a car radio. I'm going to connect it to the "house" relay switch. that way the inverter turns on and off with the main switch.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.