Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2018, 06:53 AM   #14
carlgorski

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by dray6935 View Post
I am new to RV'ing. My wife and I bought our 2019 Thor Vegas 24.1 last September. Since that time, we have taken it out 4 times, with the longest trip being for 11 days and about 1500 miles. While we have enjoyed it very much and encountered little in the way of issues, I do have concerns over the excessive amount of play in the steering of the vehicle. Under normal conditions (with little or no wind), I am constantly having to correct the steering to stay in my lane. The vehicle seems to bounce from stripe to stripe even when I make the most gentle corrections. Then there are times when it gets windy. One day driving through central Texas we encountered what I estimated to be 15 to 25 mph gusting crosswinds. These winds would cause the RV to make extreme movements (3 to 5 ft) before I ever had the opportunity to bring the unit back under control. I understand that RV's, especially the smaller/lighter ones like my Vegas, are basically shoeboxes on wheels and that wind does impact the drivability. That said, I don't think it is normal to for the steering to mimic that of a carnival ride. Nor do I think it is acceptable to have to constantly fight the steering wheel to keep from getting killed on a windy day.

I have brought this issue to the attention of the folks I bought the unit from. They have been responsive in that they said they took it to a local shop specializing in RV wheel alignment. The report back didn't identify any issues nor did they offer any recommendations for what could be done to "tighten" up the steering.

My apologies in advance for the long-winded dissertation. But my questions are this: 1) has anyone one else who owns a Thor Vegas, ACE or the like, encountered anything similar to what I describe, and 2) if yes, what, if anything, were you able to do about it?

Many thanks for your feedback.

David and Lisa Ray

Change out a Ford steering stabilizer for a Roadmaster.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum