Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 06:00 AM   #17
dlbeck27

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: California
THOR #2917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemaster View Post
So I am doing some yard work and have had the RV parked in the street now for little over a week. All 3 batteries (1 chassis 2 coach) were fully charged when I parked it. Left it with everything off and switch in Store. Yesterday I went out to start the Generator and everything was dead. Dead as in rotting carcass.

Disconnected batteries and measured voltage.
chassis = 10.22v
coach 1 = 7.95v
coach 2 = 7.84v

Nothing worked in the coach; not even the tank level meters. I could turn on the ignition and the idiot lights came on but everything went off when I tried to crank the V10. So I tried jump starting the house to get the generator going. (The shore plug is on the street side and I didn't want a car or truck to shear the plug off) With my jump pack connected, and both house batteries reconnected, the voltage was 10.92. Tried the Generator anyway. Just clicking. So I borrowed my neighbors jump pack and got the generator slowly cranking. It started resiliently but everything came to life. Let it run for 2 hours. Then tried to crank the V10 with emergency start. Let it run another hour then shut everything down.

Since I want to keep the RV in a Evacuation ready state (here in wild fire / earthquake CA), I have some concerns. I also plan to use my 2000 watt inverter alot while boon-docking. (using the generator as a backup if I have to) so I would like alot of AH; goal would be 4-500AH.

Should I replace the questionable stock batteries with new?

Im finding conflicting data on rather a 31E can fit 4 or 2 batteries. I think the tray is big enough for 4 but can it support the weight? My RV dealer says 2 is max.

Is it true that AGM is better than "standard" lead acid? Or will standard last longer?

Also is 6v or 12v better? With 6v I could get 100 to 225AH that im looking for.

I was thinking of this battery kit:
https://www.amazon.com/WindyNation-a...etwork-20&th=1

Would 100 - 200W solar be enough to maintain charge on such a large battery bank?
So why did all three batteries completely discharge in a week?
Don't waste a lot of money on new batteries until you figure out what is going on. I can understand there being something pulling down the two coach batteries, but what was drawing down the chasis battery at the same time?
dlbeck27 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum