Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2018, 08:11 PM   #9
racochran

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Chateau 28E
State: Arizona
THOR #13948
Thanks everyone for your help and all seem workable. Special Jim & Roy Davis not sure who has been responding. I have been drawing schemes and thinking always a bad thing how to do this the simplest and not need the special Directv spiltter. I think I have done it but wold be nice if could be confirmed before buying parts and pieces and tear into this(poor choice of words) by someone more expert than me.

Here goes:

Since my response yesterday and I have a minute here is a possible solution I think will work and the easiest since I am using Directv.

it appears no matter what need run RG-6 home run for the Direct TV receiver because it provides 18 VDC I believe to the in my case outside portable dish. So to started need to make that run and connect directly between portable dish LNB and input to the Direct TV receiver. This run will be from a weather proof coax receptacle mount some where on the left rear of the coach: not sure of routing yet but thinking enter the cable from below water cabinet below rear bed and route along top cabinets along right side of coach to cabinet above the door where will place the Direct TV receiver and the existing Blue Ray DVD. Connect directly to input of Direct TV receiver.

Remove amplifier and access the coax splitter as we talked about before. Disconnect coax cable from from splitter which is the one from the Terrestrial antenna. Take a short coax from output of Direct TV run to a new AB coax switch and connect to say input B of the switch. Take cable I disconnected from splitter from terrestrial antenna and take it to input A of the switch. Then take output of switch with another short coax to the splitter where I disconnected the terrestrial antenna.

This does several things I believe.

1. Will not require and special Direct TV special splitters as there will be nothing between outside dish and receiver to block the 18VDC from receiver to dish.

2. By operating AB switch between A and B can switch between Terrestrial antenna and satellite signals. It will also provide blocking of DC from RV Park cable should it be connected and the RV Park does not have DC blocking.

3. By using AB switch should mean everything after Direct TV receiver cables. splitter, etc, can remain unchanged and work.

4. When switch to the Terrestrial Antenna turn on amplifier turn on TV and search for channels as normal. When switch to satellite turn off amplifier and in my case TV's on channel 4 with Direct TV receiver search for channels like normal operation. If connected to RV Park cable don't think position of AB switch matters but amplifier off and search for channels on TV and good to go. Blue Ray DVD should be operated as would be normally and all 3 TV's will work as well

Seems pretty simple at least to me and workable with least amount of modifications and no special splitters, etc.

Still would be nice if someone knowledgeable could review the above and confirm that it will work as described or should for a Direct TV connection before I start gathering parts and get into this project.

Thanks for your help. Hopefully will stop bugging everybody at least on this topic!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum