Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2018, 02:12 PM   #15
jabrabu

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
Here is my story:
The Onan 4000 in my 2018 Chateau would crank but not start, and there were fewer than 100 hours on it. A Camping World shop said they thought it needed a new coil and a new control module. Further troubleshooting and repair would require removing/reinstalling the generator and that would be about 6 hours of labor.

I then took it to a dedicated generator shop that was a Cummins/Onan dealer, and they told me the same thing -- it probably needed a new coil and control module and removal/installation would be about 6 hours labor. So Camping World appeared to know what they were doing.

I had the Cummins shop repair it, and it turned out to be that the coil was cracked. They also replaced the control module.

The repair took a really long time to get done. Getting Cummins authorization for warranty work seemed to be a lengthy and painful process, and at first they didn't want to pay for the remove/install labor. The shop had to remove it and diagnose it, then get warranty authorization, then order parts, then do the repair. So it took multiple visits to get it completed, and we ended up doing a big 3-week trip across the country without an operational generator because we were waiting for warranty authorization.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum