Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2018, 04:08 AM   #7
10scDust

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by LATraveler View Post
I am looking to have a spare tire carrier installed on my 2018 Quantum 29RQ. I would hate to have to screw up the clean look on the back and am wondering about a special install underneath. Would love to hear what you come up with for your carrier. Unfortunately, I am not capable of this so will be paying for this modification elsewhere.
Well, I can do a lot of my own fabrication, and I can weld (somewhat) while it is flat in front of me, lol.
I noticed under the garage, on the frame behind the rearend about a foot, there is an oval hole (manufactured there) on each side, measures 2.500" on the narrow side of the oval.
I have a 2" steel galvanized schedule 40 pipe I used to use as a tee post pounder, and it measures about 2.375" on the O.D.
It is a heavy duty piece of pipe, for sure!
It is 43" from outside frame to outside and I cut the pipe to 49" length.
I am going to see how well it slips together tomorrow and if I need to grind it out some or something.

I also have some steel angle, channel, round, and bar stock I like to keep on hand, not a lot, but always enough for when some project comes up.

My idea is to weld a 4" x 2" channel to it, flat side up, and make it boltable to the trailer hitch.
Fashion an area for the tire to be fastened to the channel about midway.
The pipe will allow it to rotate in the frame hole, like a big tee, and let the bolted to the hitch end go down to the ground once unbolted to get the tire off.
Thinking of a through bolt in each end of the pipe, outside the frame both sides, so it cannot slide over and out, but still allow it to rotate in the hole.
I also figure I will need to take the hitch assembly off to fab a connection plate so they can bolt together and not interfere with the receiver.

It will take me the week to get it done and painted before installing.
I am retired and dog watch too, plus it is somewhat cold in these Tennessee mountains!
Being retired, it sometimes takes a few to get motivated, next thing you know, sun is going down and my lady gets home from work.

Anyway, it may be difficult to man handle a spare tire from out of there, but I want to have one with me.
If I am too remote for help, I carry cover-alls for when it is times like these, and I will get it out, also carry a port-a-power jack and tools to change the tire.

I have the roadside assist coverage, it will cover the labor of someone to change the tire, it will not cover if I do not have a spare!
It will be the roadside assistant's job to get the spare out at that point.

I will take pictures once it is well under way and try to get them on here.

2016 Thor Outlaw 29H

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum