Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2018, 09:26 PM   #58
DenverTransplant

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
You would connect A/C power from the existing breaker panel to the inverter, then move the outlets wire from the outlet of the existing panel to the outlet of the inverter. Is this correct?[/QUOTE]

Probably a lot more than that. The inverter only passes through 10 amps, while you have either 30 amp or 50 amp shore power services. So you don't want to pass shore power through the inverter unless you want to be limited all the time. I've seen a few inverters in the 3000 - 5000 watt class that do have a 30 amp pass through. Bring money.

To do it "right" takes an extra transfer switch upstream of the existing one. Lift the generator input and relocate to new upstream transfer switch along with the inverter input. Then land the output of the upstream transfer switch where the generator was. I don't recall seeing a three input transfer switch, but one would be nice.

I looked into hard wiring the inverter, but the amount of rewiring required was horrendous. My electrical distribution is at the foot of the bed and uses a compartment about 10 inches deep (water tank takes up most of the space). I don't have room for a second transfer switch where the original is located, so the problem becomes exponentially harder.

Splitting my breakers is even more fun - no space so its no small job. If I was going to all that work, I'd convert the coach to 50 amp. So going the external plug route and shutting off the A/C, water heater and converter breakers when on inverter power has a lot more appeal.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum