Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2018, 02:55 PM   #13
lmichel

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
THOR #10644
Christmas Eve Troubleshooting - Backup Lights NEVER off

Lug, you've obviously done a significant amount of troubleshooting in the past

The trailer tow port was squeaky clean. I did check that many days ago, but gave a really good check yesterday - just in case.

I pulled F34 and the reverse lights went out.
I put F34 back and pulled F33. Again, the lights went out.

Then I turned the ignition on but didn't start the vehicle.
I put it in reverse.

When I pull F34, the lights are on in reverse and out when in park!
When I pull F33 (F34 in), the lights are out both in reverse and in park.

Now the interesting part:
My Thor has these push-in oval reverse lights. Don't even need a tool to pull them out. I pulled them to look at the connection going to each light. On the driver side light, there is a lone, red wire coming up inside the fiberglass, past the light opening and continuing on up, up as far as my flashlight can see - maybe even up under the roof. When I follow it out the other end, it comes out the bottom of the fiberglass rear cap and is tucked inside the rear bumper - along, but outside a wire loom tubing and off up into the frame somewhere. This is *very* suspicious! This really, really looks like a wire that was added after the whole unit was built.
I am the only owner of this RV. I bought it new. It's never been registered.
I think it was a repair that Camping World did when the rear awning would blow a fuse on open or closing the switch. I refused to accept delivery until they fixed it. I'll bet they rewired it quick and dirty. ....hmmmm...where is the old wire they snipped?? Not touching the frame I hope?? Am I on to something here, or is it just me? This mysterious red wire doesn't visibly involve the backup lights at all, that I can see. But it sure has my attention.

One question I *think* we can answer at this point... We can cross off the Neutral Safety Switch - right?

Thanks again for all your diagnostic help! I hope Santa brings you a shiny new wrist watch that reads OBD2 codes just by walking up to any vehicle!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.