Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2018, 04:50 PM   #1389
captrandy

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #8654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Well I would not say they are NOT compatible. Its just that they cost more money and they charge much quicker and hold a chare much longer that you dont need to leave the RV plugged very much at all (IMO). I was fraid the cheap OEM converter would ruin them over time.

Before I would plug the RV in for a few days then unplug it (I was afraid to boil the OEM batteries so I baby them). But after two weeks they would be at 50% so I was charging them every week for a day or two - then CW had my RV for a week and kill them dead and would not replace - it was only 9 mo old to me so I replaced with two AWESOME 6V AGM's.

Now I will plug if for 24 hours every two or 3 weeks. I could even go longer. They barely loose any charge while sitting in my storage.

Santa left me a Progressive Dynamics Smart charger under my tree (thanks Santa). Once I install that I wont worry as much. But really no reason for me to leave plugged in all the time anyway. But now when im at a Camp ground I can leave plugged in all the time for the AC and just because im paying for the electric anyway.
As my OEM batteries are 4 years old, I figure it's time to replace them before they fail on the road.

I always have them on a small solar charger to keep them topped off while parked for the summer in Florida. Worked great for two summers, but now we will be traveling all Summer out west or someplace other than HOT Florida.

Good luck with you AGM's

Randy

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum